Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Honey Oat Bread

I made this last week thinking I would enter it into the fair that day.  I got them all baked up and ready to go, and realized that I couldn't enter them until the next day!  I was bummed, because I wanted them to taste it fresh.  So...I didn't enter one.  I promised myself that I would for sure next year.  Maybe with a few other things.  I would love it if I got Grand Champion!  Hey, maybe one day i'll try to get Homemaker of the Year!  Hahahahahahahaha...yeah right.  Anyhoo, this bread is awesome.  It's moist and perfect.  I love it fresh out of the oven with a big slab of butter spread all over.  *drool*  It's also really good for sandwich bread.  Give it a try.



Honey Oat Bread
4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 c. honey
4 Tbsp butter
2 1/4 c. water
1 Tbsp salt
2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
4 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. quick oats
1 egg

In a medium bowl heat the butter and honey in the microwave until the butter is melted. Remove and add the water; the mixture should be warm (110-120 degrees). Stir in the yeast and let sit until bubbly, about 10 minutes.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine salt, yeast mixture, 2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. With mixer on low, gradually blend liquid into dry ingredients until just blended. Increase the speed to medium, beat for two minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. Gradually beat in the egg and one cup of whole wheat flour to make a thick batter. Continue beating for two minutes. Stir in oats, 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour. Knead till smooth and elastic. Use more flour if dough is too sticky.

Place in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch the dough down and cover and let rise again for about 20 minutes.  Form into to loaves and place in greased 9x5 bread pans.  Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a golden brown.  Enjoy!

Source-Tasty Kitchen

Fair week went really well.  As I mentioned in a previous post,  Justy placed 10th in Quality, which is awesome!  I am so proud of her.  All that hard work really does pay off. 


Here she is showing off her good looking sheep.

See you tomorrow!!


2 comments:

  1. Way to go Justy!!! She looks so cute and so grown up there. I'm making this bread tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a great picture! The bread sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...