Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Month of Love...Let's Make Whoopie...Pies that is.

It seemed kinda odd to me to be taking down my snowman decorations on such a blizzardy day. But the calendar says February meaning it was time to take down all things snow and put up all things red and hearted. I know it seems silly to wish away January when February seems just as cold and blizzardy but for me it's all in my head. February means we are getting closer to Spring and I love Spring. You'll hear me say that over and over again. I can't help it. I think I dream of Spring starting the day after Christmas.

Anyway, enough of that. This is the month of love and I welcome it with open arms. I was very excited to put my snowman in a box and pull out the hearts. So in honor of February, I made my family whom I adore, some beautiful Red Velvet Whoopie Pies. These are easy, cute lil' cookies. They are perfect for giving away to those you love.


Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 ounce milk chocolate, chopped
12 Tbls. butter, melted
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teas. apple cider vinegar
1/2 teas. vanilla
1 Tbls. red food coloring
2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teas. baking powder
1/4 teas. baking soda
1/2 teas. salt

Combine the semisweet chocolate and the milk chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and melt at 50% power for about 2 minutes. Whisk to combine. In a bowl combine melted butter, sour cream, eggs, vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring. You will have a bowl of funky looking red goop.

Red Goop

In another bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.


Add the flour mixture to the red goop in four increments mixing each addition until combined before adding the next. When all the flour is mixed in add the melted chocolate.

Scoop heaping tablespoons of batter on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. My oven bakes hot and only need 8 minutes. Let cool completely.


Cream Cheese Filling
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 Tbls. butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teas. vanilla

Cream the cream cheese and butter till smooth. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and beat till smooth and fluffy. I used a piping bag to fill my pies but you could spread it on with a knife too. Fill these babies up and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you, dreaming about Spring...I love it too and can't wait for the cold to be done. The Whoopie Pies look yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one more delicious reason to use my new kitchen aid :) yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious, but of course they look delicious Monica - you made them! I have never made a red velvet anything...maybe this recipe will be the one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Moni,
    They look yummy but I had to chuckle at the bright red cookies...kind of reminded me of some "nasty" red frosting I once put on Landon's birthday cake!
    Love you guys! And, by the way a big congrats to Erica! Can't wait to meet the cute little one.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...