Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Birthday Erica!!!!

So my sister Erica, you may know her, is having her 29th birthday today. He, he, he...one more year and she'll be massed with her two older more mature siblings. I actually feel bad every time Erica hits a big mark in her life. You know, she is the baby. It just means we are ALL getting older, not just her. She will always be the little sister to me though.

This little sister and I didn't get along very well. I mean look at that face! You couldn't trust it. :)

But she grew up and somewhere along the line I realized we were in the same boat going through the same stuff and she wasn't soooo bad. I am so grateful to have her in my life. Can't imagine life without her. She is my confident, my listening ear, and my best friend. I love her to pieces. She is a wonderful cook, a great mother, and a loyal wife. She is sensitive and has a soft heart. And she's the hot sister. :)

Hottie. :) That's her lucky hubs with her.

So with that to celebrate Erica's birthday I made some Brownies. I wish we could share them together. Erica, make them for your honey. He loves Brownies! Or better yet, have him make you some.


Cocoa Brownies or Death by Chocolate Brownie

10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cold large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.

Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a saucepan and stir until the butter is melted and the mixture just starts to bubble. Don't let it come to a full boil. The mixture will be grainy but combined. Remove from heat and set aside briefly until the mixture is only warm, not hot.

Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Spread evenly in the lined pan.

Bake until a toothpick plunged into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack.

Lift up the ends of the parchment or foil liner, and transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Spread with ganache and cut as desired.

Ganache

Combine 1 tbsp. corn syrup and 3 ounces of heavy cream in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Add 6 ounces of chopped chocolate. Let sit for 1 minute and then stir together until smooth. Use immediately.

Yum, these are more fudgy if you like that type of Brownie. You will need a tall glass of milk and a serious chocolate craving. Enjoy!

Source: Becky Bakes

Drop a little note and wish Erica a Happy Birthday. She needs the extra loves today with a new baby, lots of diapers, and being cooped in the house. Love you sissy. I hope your day is wonderful!

6 comments:

  1. Awww...Thanks so much, Sis! You are the best. I love you lots! Those brownies look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Erica!! I can't wait to make these brownies. Is this recipe per my request?? If so, thanks. If not, thanks anyway- you answered my need! My post-pregnancy hips don't need these, but my mind says they do!! Yippe for you Monica! I LOVE your recipes - I've tried almost all of these. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Moni... what a nice thing to do to celebrate your sis's last 20's... but as you look at her face you would think she still in her early 20's.. lucky her!.. I am so very proud of both you for doing this blog, not only have you taught us to fix yummy stuff of make neat stuff.. but you have also made us feel that it is okay to make mistakes while we try to make all these yummy stuff. I love you Moni and Erica.. and *Happy Birthday!* my sweet babe... *TW*...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Erica! Hope it was great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday Erica! Hope your day was great. I can't imagine a better way to celebrate a birthday than snuggled up with a brand new baby! I miss those days--my 'newborn' is almost 18 months old! Hope your day was fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These brownies are so good. I made them for my son's birthday and we all loved them. This will go into my recipe box, thank Monica. Happy Birthday Old Girl (Erica)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...