Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Love Pillow

I don't have a lot of Valentine's decorations so I wanted to throw something together to add to my decor. Pillows are a quick and easy way to add a little color on any chair for any season. I saw a similar pillow somewhere on the Internet but didn't use a pattern. The Internet is full of ideas to get your creative juices flowing.

Okay, there is no where in my town to get fabric which is a good and terrible thing. A girl needs access to beautiful fabric but on the other hand it helps with the budget. This is a perfect project for using up some of those scraps I know all of you have.

First off I cut a pillow front and back. For the front I used a piece of canvas and then the back has a solid red piece of cotton. I cut mine 12x15.


For the hearts I used scraps and ironed them onto a piece of wonder under. This stuff is great for applique. It does have a bit of a learning curve, at least for me. :)


Flip your scraps over and trace whatever shape you want on the back. Hearts are easy, but you could also do other shapes for different holidays. I may be doing a Spring pillow too. Cut out your hearts. Then peel off the paper backing, lay out on your fabric, and iron in place. Peeling the paper off was more work than I expected. I took my scissors and scored the back and kind of peeled from the middle out. It was impossible to peel from the edges.



After, I had the hearts ironed on I thought the pillow needed a bit more. I embroidered on the word "love" and was happy with the results.


I didn't feel like sewing around each heart so I sewed an x through each heart. I like how it turned out. Sew your pieces together, stuff, sew your opening closed and there you have it! A super cute pillow to add some color to your Holiday decorations.




This year we started a new tradition. This is our "love pillow". I started with the pillow and when I do something nice for someone I put the pillow on their bed. Then it's that persons turn to do something nice for someone else. Since it's the month for love, we are working on being more loving. It's been fun so far.

Hope you're having a great week. :)

4 comments:

  1. Seriously the cutest thing EVER! You are so creative!!! I need to get my sewing machine fixed. I love this. Great job, Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! What a great tradition. I just might steal this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric you used. This is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...