Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Homemade Oreo Cookies

I love Oreo Cookies especially the Double Stuffed. I rarely buy them because I really don't have any self control when they are hanging around the house. In my boredom one day Stumbling around the net I came across the recipe for homemade Oreo Cookies. At first I wasn't too intrigued. I have tasted many Homemade Oreo Cookies that taste good but nothing like a REAL Oreo. This blog claimed they tasted pretty close to real, so I thought I'd give them a try.

Were they good? Yes. Did they live up to what I was hoping for? No. Will I make them again. Probably. I think my expectations are just too high. What I liked was the cookie, the dough had a nice flavor and the finished cookie was tasty. Next time I'll cut the bake time for a softer cookie. What I didn't love was the filling. It was just too sweet for me. They are super easy and you can be done in an hour. They are a fun cookie for a potluck or to give away. As far as the recipe goes, I followed it to a T. I'm going to post it as is and will highlight my definite changes for next time.


Homemade Oreo Cookies

For the chocolate wafers:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa  I didn't have Dutch, I used regular, worked fine
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg

For the filling:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners sugar 1 1/2 cups for sure. The filling was a little too sweet for my taste.
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.

2.In a food processor, or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. While pulsing, or on low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue processing or mixing until dough comes together in a mass.

3.Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately two inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool. I baked mine for about 8 minutes, next time I will shorten the time to probably 6 minutes. My cookies were more crisp than I would prefer.

4.To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.

5.To assemble the cookies, in a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch, round tip, pipe teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.

I used a Pampered Chef medium scoop and got 11 completed cookies. They were kinda big and I would prefer a smaller cookie. If you have a small scoop, use it. These would be great with a nice cold glass of milk. Try them out and let me know if you make any changes. :)

Source: Sugar Cooking



If you haven't entered our giveaway, do it now! You are running out of time. It's a fun giveaway this week. Enter Here.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...