Thursday, February 17, 2011

Beef Enchiladas

I decided to change it up a bit for the family and do beef enchiladas instead of chicken.  The hubs was pleased...the daughter...not so much.  She told me to stick to the chicken.  I thought they were delicious and a lot different than the chicken.  These use a red sauce, and I used all corn tortillas.  My family prefers the flour, but I prefer corn.  Something about the taste of the corn tortilla makes it more...I dunno...DELICIOUS?!  It gives it a lot more flavor.  I also loved the cilantro in the sauce and on top.  My family is a bit picky and they would be fine if I left the cilantro out.  I did leave out the green onions for them...BOO!  :o)  I'm sure these woud be awesome with shredded beef too, but I went the easy route and used ground beef.
Beef Enchiladas
For the sauce you need:
1 Tbsp veg. oil
2 Tbsp flour
1-29 oz. can of red enchilada sauce
2 c. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro, plus extra for topping

For the meat you need:
1 lb ground beef
1 med. onion
4 oz. can of diced green chilies
1/2 tsp. salt

You'll also need:
10-14 corn tortillas
Vegetable oil for frying
can of olives, sliced
1 c. chopped green onions
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Cilantro
and whatever else you want to top these babies off.

In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine your oil and flour. Whisk it together and allow it to bubble for a minute.  Pour in your red sauce, broth, salt and pepper.  Stir and bring to boil.  Lower your heat and let it simmer while your cooking up the meat. 

Chop up your onion and throw it in a large skillet with ground beef.  Brown beef and drain fat.  Throw in green chilies and salt, and stir it up.  Turn off heat and set aside.

In a small skillet over medium heat fry your tortillas in oil just until they are soft.  Don't crispify them.  Drain them on a plate with paper towels. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spread 1/2 c. sauce in bottom of a 13x9 pan.  Dip each tortilla in the red sauce and place on a cookie sheet.  In each tortilla add your meat mix, black olives, green onions, and grated cheese.  Roll it up and place it in your 13x9 pan seam side down.  Stir the cilantro in the remaining sauce and pour it over the top of the enchiladas.  Top with a generous amount of shredded cheese.  Bake enchiladas for 20 minutes or until bubbly.  Sprinkle tops with cilantro.  And top it off with whatever else you want.  Enjoy!

Hope you are all having a fabulous week.  Stay tuned for tomorrow...it's giveaway time.  It's been awhile!!  :o)  YAY!  Have an awesome Thursday!!

Source:P-Dub

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, I love corn tortillas! They're yummy. These look good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...