Friday, February 4, 2011

Biscuits and Gravy...and an Introduction

Hi!!!  Erica here!  Just a quick note to introduce you to our new addition.  Baby Boy K arrived on 1-26 at 1:07 PM.  He was 8 lbs 7 oz. and 21 inches long.  It was a fast delivery and i'm so grateful for that.  He has been such an awesome baby so far, and he is such a huge blessing in our lives.  Our family is complete, and who knew that i'd have 2 red headed little boys.  :o)  I couldn't be happier.  Big Sis and Big Bro are doing great with him.  Hopefully soon I can get back in the groove of things and start baking and cooking up a storm.  Wish me luck. 

Hi, Mommy!
 1 week old

Now for my Friday recipe...

One of my hubbies favorites.  I'm still trying to master it.  I think i'm getting close though.  He used to prefer going to Flags West and get their Biscuits and Gravy instead.  Ha!  Rude.  :o)  Gotta love an honest husband.  I made the biscuits in heart shapes this time.  Maybe that will help it out a little bit. How cute would these be for Valentines Day morning?  We like to eat them for dinner, but I don't think this qualifies as "romantical" dinner type.  I'm not a HUGE fan of Biscuits and Gravy, but I make them to make the man happy.  Isn't that how it works?  Hope you enjoy them too!

 Can you tell it's a heart?!  Awwww...

Biscuits and Gravy
Biscuits-
2 c. flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1/3 c. shortening
1 c. millk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Cut in shortening until it looks like it's evenly incorporated.  Gradually stir in milk.  Stir until well combined.  Pour out onto floured surface and knead 15-20 times until nice and smooth.  Punch out until about an inch thick and cut with a round cookie cutter, or a round cup.  I can usually get about 9-10 biscuits. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes or until they start turning a golden brown on top.

Gravy-
1 lb ground sausage
1/4 c. flour
2 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste

Brown your sausage.  If you got a ton of grease in your pan then drain most of it.  I think some fat gives it good flavor.  When it's done browning add flour and whisk it around for a minute or so until all the meat is coated.  Add salt and pepper to your liking.  Gradually whisk in milk and continue stirring on medium heat until it starts to thicken.  It's done when you get it to the consistency you prefer.  Pour over warm biscuits and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Aw...There's that lil' cutie again! K is quite adorable too. ;} I love Biscuits and Gravy, and need to make them more than I do! I love the hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet little guy! Congratulations! I am not a biscuits and gravy kind of gal, but my guy does love them.. the things we do for love..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Finally a picture! Yes he is adorable. Can't wait to kiss those cheeks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...