Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pita Bread

I love pita bread!  Have you ever eaten at the Pita Pit? It's one of my favorite places to go eat when I am out of town.  Mmmm...so when I seen this recipe I knew I had to try it, because it was SO easy!  I wanted something different for lunch besides the sandwiches with bread, and boring ole' leftovers.  I baked these up and I think my family was pleasantly surprised.  They gobbled them right up.  When they started to get a little stale, I tore them up and we dipped them in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  It was tasty!  The possibilities of what to stuff inside these are endless.  I made ham and cheese with lots of veggies and mayo and mustard in mine.  It was yum yum yummy!

Love how big and poofy they get while they bake.


Can we say yum?!

Pita Bread
1 tablespoon yeast
1 ¼ cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
3- 3 ½ cups flour

In your mixing bowl pour in water and sprinkle yeast over the top and let it come to life, about 5 minutes.  Add in salt and 1 1/2 c. flour and mix using your dough hook.  Mix until it has a batter consistency.  Add in rest of the flour in 1/2 c. increments and mix until your dough is rough looking.  Knead about 8 more minutes adding my flour if it's sticky.  Knead until it is smooth and elastic.

Roll into balls.  6 for big pitas, 10 for smaller or mix it up a bit and make a whole bunch of different sizes.  Flatten out the balls with a rolling pin, about 1/4 inch thick, making sure it's even thickness all the way around.  Let them rest on a floured surface for about 30-40 minutes, untily slightly puffed.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  With a spatula, flip the pitas onto a baking sheet.  Throw them in the oven and watch the puff up.  Bake 10-15 minutes until a light golden brown.

Let them cool and then add whatever you want to them and enjoy!!

Source-Simple Bites

2 comments:

  1. Oh Pita Pit...YUM. These look awesome! I will have to try them for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Pita Pit! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...