Thursday, June 9, 2011

4th of July Cupcakes

I know this seems a little early, but it's nice to start getting some ideas for all those BBQs coming up. Cupcakes are still a really "in" thing and I love to make them and give them away. There is a great satisfaction in screwing up ones diet for the day with a scrumptious cupcake. Sorry Josh. :)


I am throwing in a little digi here. These adorable cupcake flags will be available on Monday over at JessicaSprague.com. They are by Elle's Studio. I've showcased her stuff before. She has some fun, easy hybrid projects that anyone can do. Also, no photoshop skills required. Her files come in an Acrobat format so all you do is print, cut, and put together. Aren't they so cute?!



These cuppies are nothing fancy. I know you've seen the "tie die" or "rainbow" cupcakes all over the web. They are super simple and make a fun cupcake to celebrate an event or holiday. When you're in a hurry there is nothing wrong with a cake mix. Don't tell me otherwise or you'll be in for an arm wrestle. I prefer Duncan Hines mixes, they just seem more moist. If you want to doctor it up a bit, go for it.

Mix up your batter, then split it in however many colors you want in your cuppie. Mix in your food coloring. You can use the drops, I use Wilton Concentrated Gel Icing Colors. Next you layer them in your cupcake wrappers, spread the batter with each addition for a more level look. Then bake according to directions. I told you it was easy. :)

Just a hint, red is a hard color to master. When you are mixing red into a white frosting or batter you inevitably get pink no matter how much red you seem to put in. If you're not careful you can change the consistency of the batter or frosting and change the taste. Yuck! To get a good red, start by making your batter/frosting a darker color. You can dye it a dark pink using a pink gel or in this case I added cocoa powder to the batter. It does change the taste of your batter, but chocolate? No problem for me. ;) Then add in a good red color. Wilton has a Red/Red gel that works great.


Let me know if you make these, I would love to see your version! Have a great Thursday!!!

7 comments:

  1. Yum Yum! Looks delish. I so miss your cupcakes. I have seen several rainbow recipes and have wanted to try them. The 4th seems like a perfect occasion! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look yummy! I think i'll make some for the 4th of July. I'm sure they'll be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so festive! i am imagining marbled.. they might end up purple, but what the heck, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Monica and Erica! I found you through Basilmomma's Blog Hop. Those cupcakes look fab. I need to try those Wilton gel icing colors. Have a great day! Sherri

    http://www.FoodBasics101.com
    Facebook- http://tinyurl.com/3nd53r4

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! I so don't have enough finesse for this kind of thing...My cupcakes would turn out to be some crazy tye-dye I'm sure.
    Erica, Your noodle bake looks fantasico!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great cupcakes. Thanks for the tip on making a good true red by adding chocolate. And those flags are adorable. I'm going to check out Jessica's site now.

    Hopping by from Basilmomma's. Glad to be following your blog.

    Would love for you to stop by and say hello at It's a Mom's World http://www.theresagrisanti.com

    Enjoy a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so delighted I found your weblog, I really found you by accident,
    while I was researching on Bing for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), HOW TO GET A FAKE DRIVERS LICENSE THAT WORKS I don't have time to go through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...