Thursday, June 23, 2011

Peach Cobbler

It's officially Summer! So this is a perfect recipe to start the summer off. I saw some peaches at my local grocery store and I was a little wary at first feeling like it was too early for peaches. My son loves fruit and begged for one so I grabbed a few. They were delicious! My mind of course started to think about peach desserts. Mmmmmm. Peaches.

I'm a big Peach Cobbler fan but not really a big fan of the canned peaches, cake mix kind. It's okay, but I found it usually way too sweet for my liking. I was willing to use fresh peaches and a cake mix but came across a  recipe from Paula Dean. Oh Paula. Her and I could be friends. Seriously, between all that butter and that Southern drawl, I love that lady.

This recipe has lots of good ratings and I'll have to agree. It's a keeper. It had the perfect peachy sweetness and I liked the texture of the cake. Yum. If you have the peaches and a little extra time this recipe is so worth it.

Weak sauce photo. Sorry. This was what was left. We loved this stuff!

Peach Cobbler
4 cups peeled, sliced peaches

2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup water
8 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Ground cinnamon, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.

Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if using. Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.

We had this with vanilla ice cream the first night. The next night I warmed it up and drizzled evaporated milk on it. My sweet Grandma used to serve it that way. Definitely comfort food for me.

Enjoy!

Source: The Food Network (Paula Dean)

2 comments:

  1. I am gonna make this this weekend. Jason loves Peach cobbler. I forgot about the evaporated milk, until you said that. Sweet sweet Grandma. :o) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...I LOVE Peach Cobbler. Best summer dessert ever!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...