Thursday, June 30, 2011

Be Prepared and a little Digi

Hi! Wow what a week we've had. We had a huge storm come through our town on early Monday morning. We had just laid down at midnight when it really hit. At about 12:30 we heard a loud noise. We both jumped out of bed and looked out the windows. I had never seen wind blow that hard or rain come down so hard. The sky was flickering with lightning and we had no power. It was eerie and kinda scary. After the worst past we shined our flashlights outside and noticed some branches down. We could hear other neighbors yelling down the road and sirens in the distance. The next morning we still had no power and went out to assess the damage. We had a huge branch on top of our roof. Thank goodness it didn't cause any damage. Other houses weren't as lucky. There were trees down all over the city and lots of damaged property. Crazy what a strong wind will do.

I had just finished our tornado emergency kits. We did learn that even with that we're not as ready as I thought we might be. There is a lot to think about in an emergency. Who is going to grab which kid? What about our phones? Our storm cellar had 2 feet of water in it and since the power was out the sump pump didn't work. Great. Do we want to sit in 2 feet of nasty water during a tornado? And what if we were trapped down there? Lots to think about. We definitely need more flashlights and a generator would be handy too. We were without power for about 32 hours and were able to salvage most of our food. I did end up throwing a lot away.

Anyway, I just wanted to share our experience with you so you can think about your situation at home. Are you prepared? If something happened, whether it be a huge storm that knocks out power for a couple of days or a devastating emergency, would you and your family be okay? We are so grateful we had Aaron's parents here to help with the clean up. I am 9 months pregnant now and not a ton of help. We survived. I'm in an air conditioned house with Internet. We take for granted all our blessings in a blink of an eye we could lose it all. Just something to think about.

Okay, I do have a page for you this week. This template comes out on Monday the 4th. It is by Linda Roos of In the Making Designs. I love her clean lines and beautiful kits. I used her Valpolicella kit for this. I'm just digging grey lately. Find her stuff here and pick up these templates on Monday. Super handy and very versatile.

Full Credits Here.

Have an awesome Thursday!!!! :)



3 comments:

  1. Like I said before, I'm glad you are all ok. I'm so happy your in laws were there. What a blessing! Can't wait til you are back home. And I can't wait to hear about this new baby that will be here soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary! Food storage and Emergency preparedness is something that we have been trying to work on this year. I am actually very grateful that it is such a priority for Brian. I am so glad you guys are all okay and that there wasn't further damage. Good luck tomorrow! We have been praying for you and can't wait to see your family of FIVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like quite the night you had! Glad you're all safe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...