Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Broccoli Salad

Back in the day, I worked in my local Deli.  I truly loved that job and that is where I learned to really LOVE to cook.  I made some great friends there, and I also remember a few of the recipes of some of the things we made there.  This Broccoli Salad is one that we used to make.  It was my favorite!  We would put the premade coleslaw dressing in it though.  So, if you don't want to make your own, you can definately get the premade crap. :o)  I, on the other hand, wanted to make my own.  And i'm glad I did, because it was even better from what I remember it being.  My husband thought it was gonna be gross, but he was pleasantly surprised.  He had 3 helpings! The flavors all go so well together and I love all the different textures.  A great recipe to bring to a BBQ or any kind of summer gathering.  I'm taking it to my family reunion this weekend.


Broccoli Salad
10 c. fresh broccoli (3-4 BIG bunches)
1 c. raisins
1/2 c. red onion, chopped
1 pkg of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 c. sunflower seeds
4 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp white vinegar
2 c. mayo

In a big bowl combine broccoli, raisins, and onion.  In a smaller bowl combine sugar, vinegar, and mayo and stir until nice and smooth.  Pour on top of broccoli mix and stir until everything is coated.  Refridgerate.  Before serving, stir in the bacon and sunflower seeds.

You can add more raisins, sunflower seeds, or onion if you'd like.  It just depends on your taste.  I didn't add as many raisins, because I knew my Dad didn't really care for them.  And I didn't add as much onion, because my husband doesn't like them.  :o)  PICKY PICKY!

See you tomorrow!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Blogger gives me crap all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite salads to make as well. Instead of white vinegar, I love to use red wine vinegar, for some reason it makes it taste even better with all the flavors. I don't always add onions to mine because my hubby's family doesn't like them, but when I make it for us, I add them, it just tops it off nicely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorites too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...