Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Favorites...Mac and Cheese Baby!

I dreamt about Frozen Yogurt last night. Seriously. I dreamt about pulling the lever and filling my cup then all the amazing things I put on it. Unfortunately, I never got to taste it. I hate when that happens. Anyway, I love comfort foods (c'mon, who doesn't?), and I got this fun cookbook for Christmas from my friend Laurie.
Check it out Here.


I was actually surprised at how many recipes intrigued me. On Monday I made Huevos Rancheros. They were pretty tasty. On Tuesday I made Chicken Parmesan. I thought it was delish! Last night it was Mac and Cheese. The book compares restaurant foods in calories, fat, and sodium then revamps them for a healthier version. My hubby hates diet foods and recipes but he has really liked these so far. It's just nice when you can eat comfort foods and not feel terribly guilty afterwards. You know?

So not only is homemade Mac & Cheese one of my faves but this is quickly becoming one of my fave cookbooks. Enjoy!


Macaroni & Cheese
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 yellow onion, minced
2 Tbsp flour
3 cups milk
2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. macaroni, penne, or shells
1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos (optional)
2 oz. prosciutto or ham, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent (but not browned) about 3 minutes. Add the flour and stir to incorporate into the butter. Pour in the milk a bit at a time and use whisk to incorporate the flour and prevent lumps from forming. When all the milk has been added, allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes, until it begins to thicken. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.

Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente, drain, and return to pot. Add the cheese sauce, jalapenos, and ham and stir. Divide the mixture among 6 large crocks or pour into a baking dish. Top with bread crumbs and sprinkle with Parmesan.

Bake for 10 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil until the bread crumbs are golden brown. About 2-3 minutes.  Enjoy!

Have a great weekend!!!!


3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm...Homemade Mac and cheese! Can't get any better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I've never had homemade Mac and Cheese before. I should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE homemade mac and cheese! This one looks lovely and I will be making it soon. Thanks for sharing. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...