Friday, January 28, 2011

Butterfinger Cupcakes Take 3....Seriously

So I attempted to re-make these cupcakes last Friday. I went to my go-to recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes and knew they would turn out perfect. Well, my idea of filling the wrapper two-thirds full and the batters idea were much different I guess. Every single cupcake overflowed. Such a disapointment to see my beautiful chocolate cupcakes flowing like volcanos in the oven. Anyway, it is a tasty cake but most ended up in the trash. *Sigh*

Okay, take three. With my confidence waining, I attempted these for a third time. Success at last, I think these turned out perfectly delicious. This cake really is super easy and oh so tasty. Just be careful on how full you fill your wrappers. They are a bit tempermental. I would do more half to two-thirds.

What I changed about these was the fact that I mixed crushed Butterfinger in the batter. The bigger the chunks the better. The little crumbs just dissolve into the batter. You can see and taste the bigger chunks. I topped these off with my new go-to peanut butter frosting and a nice chunk of Butterfinger.

Part of the learning process for me in my baking is to trust myself a little more. I'm a recipe follower and in my mind think if the recipe says something then it has to be right. I've ruined many recipes following the recipe exactly when I had a "feeling" to adjust or change a certain aspect. Hind sight is always 20/20. Many times I thnk I should have just went with what I felt. I also think there is this fine line between trying new recipes and just sticking with what I know is tested and true. Why have go-to recipes if I don't "go-to" them? You know what I mean? Just because I see a recipe for Butterfinger Cupcakes doesn't mean I have to follow that recipe. I have an awesome chocolate cupcake recipe, why not use that? Why try this new cupcake recipe that turned out dry and tasteless. *Sigh* Baking is a learning process for me. I wish I could say every thing I toss in the oven turns out amazing. It doesn't and I think I'm okay with that.

Okay, blah blah blah. Sorry. Here's the recipe!


One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Combine the cocoa, flour, sugar, soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix till combined scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Scoop batter in liners and fill one-half to two-thirds full. (Be careful here!) Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until top of cupcake springs back when lightly touched. Let cool completely before frosting. Makes approx. 18 cupcakes.

Source: Martha Stewart Cupcakes

Kathleen's Peanut Butter Frosting
1 cup confectioners' sugar

1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

Combine the sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla , and salt in a mixer until creamy and smooth. Slowly add the cream and beat until light and fluffy. Enjoy!


Have a wonderful weekend! We pretty much made it! January is almost over. It's a rough month for me and I'm never sad to see it go. :)

7 comments:

  1. These look super yummy!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look yummy! And I very much envy your photography skills. Oh how I envy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Monica. Oh how I do miss your cupcakes...guess I'll just have to buckle down and make some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhhhhhhh yum. WAY yum. Looks like I know what I'll be making this weekend. Or at least attempting to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were so delicious, thanks for sharing. Tyler loved them---pretty sure he used the word amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I got to try one. I loved every little bite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that peanut butter frosting dreamy?! I am so thankful for Ina Garten and that she shares this awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...