Thursday, September 16, 2010

Oreo Cookie Cupcakes

Cupcake, anyone? I love cupcakes. I love making them, frosting them, giving them away, eating them, but especially giving them away. I needed a treat for an activity, and when the opportunity calls I am on it! I had a package of oreos so I figured oreo cupcakes sounded fun. I was a little short on time and I happened to have a yellow cake mix (GASP!) so I used that as my base. I'm thinking a white cake or a chocolate cake would suffice also. If ya like a lot of chocolate, go for it.

First off, I dropped half an Oreo, cream side up in the bottom of my cupcake wrapper. I thought this would be fun little treat to bite into. Next, I whipped up my cake batter. I was going to stir in some crushed up Oreos but I forgot. Really? I'm making Oreo Cupcakes and forget the Oreos. I am getting very forgetful in my old age. So, I sprinkiled the crushed up Oreos on the cupcake batter. Now, my years of experience :) told me to stir in the cookies in each individual cup. Did I listen? Of course! Ha ha. I was curious what would happen if I didn't stir it in so I left one. It's science while I bake!




Anyway, as you see my gut was right. The one that didn't get stirred in just stayed at the top. If that's the look or taste you want, then sprinkle, don't stir. I get off track easily, what were we doing?

Oh yeah, cupcakes. Next, I whipped up some buttercream frosting and garnished with crushed up Oreos. And wha-la! Quick and tasty cupcakes.

For next time, I would use a chocolate batter. I wasn't sold on the cupcake on the bottom so I may use more chunks in the batter. I would use a pudding/whipped cream frosting or even a cream cheese frosting. They were overall pretty good. I took them to a cub scouts activity. Those boys scarfed those suckers down!



Here is a quick buttercream that I enjoy. It is adapted from here.
1 c. butter
1 c. shortening
8 c. powdered sugar (approx. 2 lb. bag)
1/2 t. popcorn salt
2 t. vanilla
About 6 oz. cream/milk/water (whatever liquid you want to use)

Cream the butter and shortening until light and fluffy. While they are creaming, warm up your liquid in the microwave. Don't get it too hot or it will melt the fat. Add the salt to the liquid and stir until it dissolves. If I have time, I will then put it in the fridge to cool down. Add the powdered sugar to your butter mixture and mix. Add your liquid slowly (not all at once). Keep adding it until your frosting is the consistency you want. You may not use it all. Don't forget the vanilla, then let your frosting whip in the bowl for 2-3 minutes.

Off topic, I think I made fun of Photoshop Friday on Wednesday too much because they are officially moving it to Friday. Keep an eye out tomorrow for a new tutorial on JessicaSprague.com. I hope they don't fire me for making fun of it. lol. :)

Have a great day!

8 comments:

  1. Yum, SIS! Great job! My family would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making these tomorrow!My boys would flip for these! I made muffins the other day and my 5 year old asked, " Mom, why don't we make cupcakes anymore?" I guess we're due for some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! My kids and I are going to make these when they get home from school today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh how I wish I lived closer to you. I would always volunteer to be a taste tester for you! Those look soo yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not the biggest fan of cupcakes (however, I will eat them if given the opportunity haha), but those look GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM YUM!! Mindy made the same type of cupcake for Mailey's birthday party on Saturday. Great minds think alike eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha. That's funny. I made those cupcakes for Mailey's birthday with the half oreo on the bottom and all. I found a recipe on a blog that was a batter from scratch. It was pretty good. The texture was a little dense, but the flavor was good. I even thought of you when I was making them. Funny funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made a recipe (made up in my head) like this forever too! And I love them! This time I am going to use your frosting! It sounds yummy! I love trying different frostings! Thanks Monica!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...