Monday, September 6, 2010

Monday Matchup Special!

Today we have a very special Monday Matchup! Not only is it Labor Day (now that's special!), it's our daddy's birthday. AND it's not just any birthday, it's the big 60. Holy! So, we dedicate this post to our Dad. This is one very special guy. I would never in words be able to describe how much I look up to him, how much he means to me, or what an amazing son, dad, grandfather he is. This man taught me a lot about character. I feel that a lot of the good in me came from his example. I know a job isn't worth doing unless it's done right and I try to live up to that in everything I do. Love you dad.

Today, our match-up happens to be one of my dad's favorite desserts. Not only is dad a nut (ha ha), but he loves nuts too. A cookies isn't worth eating unless it has nuts in it! Neither is banana bread! So naturally he would love German Chocolate Cake. He really is a pie guy, but this happens to be a cake he enjoys. Erica and I decided to make a version of German Chocolate Cake and share it with you!

I cooked up the German Chocolate Cupcakes from the Martha Stewart Cupcakes cookbook. This wasn't a terribly hard recipe to put together. The frosting was definitely my favorite part. It was the first time I had ever attempted to make a Coconut-Pecan frosting from scratch. Let me tell you, AMAZING. If you like Coconut-Pecan frosting at all, drop what you're doing and make it today. It is fabulous. As far as the cupcakes go, they were so-so. The frosting saved them and overall the cupcakes were pretty tasty. Unfortunately dad lives too far away to share these with. Luckily I had an event and they vanished with only one left over.


The recipe is on page 126 of Martha Stewart Cupcakes or you can find it here online.

Dad, I wish I could give you a big hug today. I love you so much. Thanks for pushing me to be who I am, for loving me, and always believing in me. I couldn't have asked for a better father. I'm so glad you're mine. Have a wonderful day. Love you. :)


Wow!  How do I beat that?!  I should have posted first.  ;o) 

Happy Birthday, Dad!  Where do I begin?  Thanks for being there for me through thick and thin.  I've put you through hell, and we're still best buddies.  Good thing I finally figured stuff out.  You WERE always right.  Thanks for teaching me so much, and still to this day, I learn something new from you every time we talk.  I hope your day is fabulous and you do get to eat this cake.  It's not as pretty as Monica's, but you know her...she's REALLY good at this kind of stuff. 

Hey, Readers.  :o)  This recipe was super easy.  I'm all about easy.  I found this recipe on one of my favorite food sites, allrecipes.com.  I did a couple of modifications to fit my taste.  You can find the recipe here.  I doubled the icing and added 6 Tbsp of brown sugar to the icing while it's cooking on the stove.  Gave it more of a carmely taste.  And it was so yummy!!!  I think I had to double it, because I ate so much of the icing before putting it on the cake.  Make sure you put it on the cake while it's still warm too, or it doesn't spread as easily. 

Happy Birthday Dad, and I agree with everything Monica said above.  She nailed it right on the head.  You are one GREAT DUDE!  Love ya, Beavis!

Love your favorite daughter,
Erica*

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmm... girls you really did make something so delicious.. with a glass of milk.. wow! and Moni the icing is so much better homemade.. I remember those days. I hope someday soon I will be able to try all these delicous recipes.. keep up the good work and thank you for sharing them with us. I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of those recipes look so yummy! I love anything chocolate. Happy birthday Dave!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...