Monday, May 9, 2011

Grandma's Cheesecake

This cheesecake brings back so many memories with every bite.  I just have to close my eyes and I see myself at Grandma's table eating it as slow as I can to make it last.  The smell of her house and the different seasons out her big kitchen window.  I remember asking her after church every Sunday what was for dinner, and then asking if she had made dessert hoping she would say cheesecake.  This has to be my absolute favorite dessert.  This was also my Grandpas favorite dessert besides his normal wheat bread and homemade jam.

I've only made this myself about 4 times  1 of the times it turning out more like soup than cheesecake.  It's always been a family joke that no one could perfect this like my Grandma did.  The first time my Dad made it Grandma told him to use 26 graham crackers...she meant the small rectangles, not the big rectangles.  He used 26 big ones.  I remember scraping off the bottom and top of the cheesecake and feeding it to our dog, Lucy.  Funny stuff!  It doesn't really taste like the classic cheesecake.  It's better...at least for me.  It's perfect all by itself, but I guess you could top it with your favorite fruit. 


Heaven on a plate

 
Grandma's Cheesecake
1 small box lemon Jello
1 c. boiling water
1-8oz cube of cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 can evaporated milk, COLD!
2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 package of graham crackers, crushed (Not the whole box, just one of the plastic packages)  :o)
1 cube butter, melted

First things first, you need to put your evaporated milk in the fridge.  I do this the night before I know I am gonna make it to make sure it's super cold.  If it is not cold, this will not work.  I also put my mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer to make sure they are nice and cold too.  These were my Grandma's instructions when I first made it. 

Crush graham crackers and mix with melted butter.  Press into bottom of a 13x9 dish.  Reserving about 1/4 c. to sprinkle on top of the cake when it's done.  Set aside.

Combine jello and boiling water together and stir until jello is dissolved.  Put in fridge and let it set up slightly.  You want it to still move around in the bowl, but also see it setting up a bit.

Beat cream cheese and sugar together, until nice and creamy.  Stir in slightly set up jello and mix until well combined. 

In your cold bowl beat evaporated milk until it's nice and frothy.  Add your vanilla and lemon juice and mix well.  Fold your cream cheese, jello mixture into the evaporated milk mix until well combined.  Pour into 13x9 dish and top with remaining graham crackers.  Cover and refrigerate overnight or for about 4-5 hours.  This way it sets up nicely.  My Grandma always made it in the morning before church and it was perfect when we were done with dinner.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and wonderful Mother's Day.  I thought a lot about my Grandma yesterday and how she was being celebrated in heaven.  I like to make her favorite dishes when I'm missing her more than usual.  Makes me feel a little closer to her.  I hope you have some favorite family dishes that makes you think of the ones that have passed on.  I cherish those recipes.

Have a great week!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I made Grandma's Coconut Oatmeal Cookies yesterday too. I missed her a lot yesterday. I'm going to have to try this soon. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anybody can make anything as good as Grandmas can. They just have the touch! I know what you mean about certain recipes that bring you closer to those you love, who have passed on. And like you, I also cherish them. :(
    Oh, and that's funny what your dad did lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...