Thursday, October 7, 2010

Salty Caramel Brownies

Need I say more?  :o)  These are so tasty and so rich.  I love the saltiness in the topping, but if you know me, then you know I love salt.  Mmmmm...These were pretty easy to throw together.  I did most of it with my 2 year old on my hip.  It was one of those nights.  I think I might have overcooked the caramel, but they still tasted great!  It wasn't good and melty on the brownies, like I thought it would be.  It set up more like a chewy toffee which was fine with me and a lot less messy!  I will blame the over cooking on the Lil' Mister.


Here's the recipe-

Brownies
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3/4 c. unsalted butter, cubed up
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 c. flour

Caramel Topping
1/2 c. heavy cream
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. unsalted butter
2 tsp. Kosher Salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 baking dish.  In a double broiler over medium heat melt chocolate and butter together stirring gently until all melted.  Add sugar, and stir til well combined.  Remove from heat.  In a seperate bowl whisk eggs. While stirring pour in eggs a little at a time, so you don't cook them.  Stir till well combined, then add flour.  Stir and pour into baking dish.  Bake 25-30 minutes.  Cool completely!

In a small sauce pan warm heavy cream to an almost boil, but do not boil.  Remove from heat.  In a larger pan add water, and sugar and stir to combine.  Heat to boiling on medium high heat.  Do not stir while it heats up.  Let it boil til it becomes an amber color.  Add cream and butter, stir til nice and creamy, then add the salt.  Stir.  Pour on top of brownies and leave it alone til caramel is set. 


If you make this I want to know how your caramel sets up.  I'm curious if I did it wrong.  *lol*  I'm not a chef!  I'm a wife/mom who is learning!!  :o)

 Source

2 comments:

  1. MMMMMM...chocolate+caramel+salt=heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look heavenly! I've been noticing a few "salted" desserts lately, and I've been wanting to try one. Maybe this will be the one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...