Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday Favorites

I think about this woman every day, but recently it's been a lot more than usual.  I don't know why, but I know I miss her so much and I needed to bake something that reminded me of her.  So I thought of my favorite things she used to bake for me and it was her Oatmeal Coconut cookies.  I pulled out the cookbook she made for me a couple years ago for my birthday and flipped through the pages til I found the recipe.  I'm so glad I have it and that I can get in the kitchen to be reminded of this wonderful woman, also known as my Grandma.  She was the one I took all my treats to, and I always got the best compliments from her.  Monica and I were talking the other day about this, and we know she'd be proud of "her girls" for sharing their talent.  Anyhoo...enough of my story...try these cookies out.  You'll be glad you did.
 See that beautiful woman?  That's my Grandma when she was 20.

Grandma's Oatmeal Coconut Cookies
1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 c. flour
2 c. Oatmeal
2 c. shredded coconut

Cream together butter and sugars.  Add eggs and mix til combined.  Sift together soda, powder, salt and flour and add to butter mix.  Mix til combined.  Stir in oatmeal, and coconut.  Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.  These should be flat and chewy, just like Grandma's.  Mine didn't come out flat I think because I used half shortening and half butter.  Use all butter to make them flat.  They still tasted as good though.  :o)


And the winner of the 3 bows, made by Monica is......SHARLA!  :o) 

Sharla said...
Cute flowers, all of them!! I've made the one with fire before, totally cool and fun to make! I'll have to try the others soon!!
And thanks for the comment on my blog! :D

We need your address, so email us at enjvanbeb at yahoo dot com  Can't wait to hear from you!!!

Another giveaway coming soon!  Have an awesome weekend!!  Love ya!!

4 comments:

  1. Love that picture. I will make these this week and let you know how mine turned out. My mouth is watering, LOVE these cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Congrats Sharla! Yay! Can't wait to get these to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma is so pretty!!! I miss her too. :( I'm excited to try out this recipe. I especially love that it's Grandma's recipe. Makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies look amazing. I love baking cookies and I will definitely be trying these! Your grandma taught you well.

    Hey, if Sharla doesn't want those bows, hook me up! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...