Monday, October 4, 2010

Monday Match-up...

It's that time again. It is soup and bread season. I love this time of year. In my part of the country it has been getting chilly and my hubby has been begging me to turn on the heater. I think it is supposed to be opposite but I like to keep the bills down for a couple of months. I grew up in a wood heated house. Only the upstairs rooms kept nice and cozy. I slept in the basement where you could see your breath some mornings. I fought the cold by lots of blankets, hoodies, and warm socks. So I just keep telling Aaron to put on some socks or put on a sweater. He does sit in one place for a long time studying so we got him a space heater. Poor baby. Anyway, (I get off track easily, sorry) cold weather brings soup so that is our Monday Match-up!

I have a few great recipes I go to every Fall but I really wanted to try something new. I like hearty soups that fill my belly and warm my soul. I found this tasty soup and gave it a try.


Tortellini Sausage Soup

1 lb. sausage
4 cloves minced garlic
1 onion, diced
½ c. water
2 cans chicken broth
½ c. apple cider
1 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 c. sliced carrots
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 medium zucchini, sliced and quartered
8-10 oz. package cheese tortellini
2 Tbsp. dried parsley

I found one pound of sausage to be a little much. You could probably get away with about 3/4 pound. Brown your sausage with the onions and garlic until sausage is cooked through and onions are translucent. Drain fat if necessary. Add water, broth, cider, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil then turn down heat and simmer, covered for about 30 minutes. Add zucchini and parsley and continue simmering for approx. 15 minutes. Add tortellini and cook using package as a guide. Mine took about ten minutes till they were tender and cooked through. Serve hot and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.

I served these with a wedge salad and breadsticks. Great meal to end a cold Fall day. Enjoy!

Source: Our Best Bites

----------------

Yay!  Soup season!  Well...here in Idaho it hasn't hit soup season yet, but it should this week, I hope!!  So, I made this soup on Sunday night, and i'm hoping it will be cool enough today that we can have this for dinner.  It's so yummy the next day too.  My dad brought me two big butternut squash, so I thought I would make my Mom's Squash Soup.  It's so easy to throw together, and it reminds me of when I was little.  I don't remember a lot when my parents were married, but I do remember two dishes my Mom making and squash soup was one of them.  My little man even enjoyed it.  If he says "I yike it!"  Then it must be good.



Squash Soup

1 large butternut squash
5 russet potatoes
1 med. onion, cut big
1 clove garlic minced
5 celery stalks, cut big
1 soup bone
2 cubes of chicken buillon
1 can evaporated milk
1/4 c. butter
salt and pepper to taste

Peel and cube squash and potatoes.  Throw them into a large soup pot.  Cut up onion, garlic, and celery and add to pot.  Add soup bone and fill the pot so it just covers the veggies.  Bring to boil then add your salt, pepper, and buillion.  Cook until potatoes and squash are tender, but not TOO tender.  Remove your soup bone, celery, and onion (this is why you need to cut them up large, so they are easy to remove)  Strain potatoes and squash, saving your yummy broth.  Mash the two with butter and add evaporated milk. Mash them up til there are hardly any or no chunks left.  It should still be pretty thick, so start adding some broth to thin it out.  Thin it out as much as you want and salt and pepper to taste in the process.  This is ready to serve.  This is great with bread sticks or like we're gonna have, hot fresh rolls.

Give it a try!  It's a great Fall soup.  :o)  Have a great week.

And we still haven't heard from the winner of our last giveaway, so if you haven't checked our Friday post to see if you won, you better do so...now.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Wow... I feel very honor to have you post our squash soup, and yes it is very delicious!! Way then I remember how the whole family use to get excited when I made it.. good memories.. It is a great soup for Fall and Winter, specially now that we have so much squash and it is the orange month... *Fall* pretty season. Thank you!.. and hope everyone will try it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm! Some more recipes to bookmark. You guys are awesome! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a big fat ham one. It was already smoked and cooked through so I didn't have to worry about that. You can find them in your meat section in the grocery store and sometimes in the frozen section. Or...if you want...skip the soup bone. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I figured it was a ham bone, but I had to ask! And the soup sounds just lovely. I look forward to squash soup every year, and I think our recipe is delish. But, I think I may have to branch out this year and try your recipe, mainly because it has potatoes in it and I am a sucker for potatoes in soup - YUM! Monica, your soup looks lovely as well. Thanks for sharing ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...