Wednesday, September 7, 2011

German Chocolate Cupcakes

Heaven in a cupcake liner.  I made these for my Daddy's birthday yesterday.  They are his favorite.  I was worried, because last time I made something similar it didn't turn out.  But these were absolutely WONDERFUL!!!  They were pretty simple to throw together.  I got most of them done during nap time which made it 100 times easier.  My Dad had 2, complimented me a few times, and took a bunch home, so they were definitely a hit!




German Chocolate Cupcakes

Cake mix-
1 box of Devil's Food Cake Mix
3 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c. buttermilk (If you don't have buttermilk than you can make your own by using a little less than 1 cup milk with 1 Tbsp of distilled white vinegar)
1 c. sour cream

 German Chocolate Frosting-
1 c. evaporated milk
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c. shredded coconut
1 1/2 c. chopped pecans

Chocolate Buttercream-
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. milk (If needed)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.  I got 24 cupcakes. 

In a large bowl combine oil, eggs, and vanilla.  Mix gently until well combined. Stir in 1/3 of the cake mix until well combined.  Add buttermilk, stir til combined.  Add another 1/3 of the cake mix, stir til combined.  Add sour cream, and last of cake mix and stir until well combined.  Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 18-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.

German Chocolate Frosting-In a medium saucepan on medium heat, constantly stir evaporated milk, sugar, butter, and egg yolks until it starts to boil and thicken.  About 15 minutes.  Stir in vanilla, coconut, and pecans.  Remove from heat and let it cool completely.

Buttercream-Beat cream cheese and butter for 4 minutes, scraping sides of bowl.  Add cocoa, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  Beat for another 3 minutes, scraping bowl. If it's too thick add milk.  (I didn't have to add any milk to mine.)  If it's too thin add more powdered sugar.  Put icing into a pastry bag and pipe it onto cupcakes to create a barrier to keep the german chocolate frosting in the middle.  Scoop a small amount of cooled german chocolate mixture into the middle of the cupcake.

And there you have it!  It looks a little intimidating, but it was seriously pretty simple.  My pastry bag broke, so I had to use a ziploc bag to finish the job.  Worked out great!

Source-Your Cup of Cake

Have a great Wednesday!!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go sis! I'm impressed! These look so yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... so sad I live so far away.. and yes I know I could probably try to make them.. but they would never taste like Erica's.. ggrr!.. Well my girl, they look delicious!.. and I am sure they did taste so awesome... I want one? pleaseeeeeeeee? yeah I know they are all gone.. lucky Daddy!.. Great job TW.. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which pastry tube did you use for your chocolate frosting? They're very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...