Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Welcome our Guest Kelsey from A Spice A Day

We're excited to have Kelsey guest post on our blog today. She's been a dear friend of mine (Erica) for years! She's an awesome wife, mother, friend, writer, and cook. So grateful that she accepted the invite to share one of her yummy recipes off her blog A Spice A Day!! 



Hello to all of you Giant Blog of Cooking, Crafting, and Other Fun Activities fans! I'm Kelsey from over at A Spice A Day! I'm so excited to be posting on this fabulous lil' blog. These two ladies amaze me and I can only strive to be like them. Especially in the crafting department...but for your sake, I won't elaborate on that. Due to repeated and highly failed attempts, it's a sore subject anyways...
I want to start out by saying CONGRATS to Monica and her family on their new baby girl! She's a real dolly! Enjoy her while you can cause I'm tempted to snatch her up...
Okay! On to the recipe. You've heard of Nutella right? If you haven't you're in a sad, lonely state of living. Pick some up now and try it, uh cause, you'll love it. And as an ice cream, it's even impossibly better. An ITALIAN ice cream, no less. Gelato is the best stuff ever, not to mention it has less fat...good for any hips or thighs. This recipe will rock your socks off and it's easy. Who doesn't like easy?


Nutella Gelato
  • 2 cups Whole Milk
  • 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
  • 3/4 cups Sugar, Divided
  • 4 whole Egg Yolks
  • 1/2 cup Nutella
  • 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 8 pieces Baci Candy (a Chocolate Hazelnut Candy (I used white chocolate, because white chocolate and I are best friends)), To Serve
In a large saucepan, combine the whole milk, heavy whipping cream and 1/2 cup of sugar. Heat over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, whip the egg yolks with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar for about 4 minutes until it’s thick and pale yellow.
Take 1/2 cup of the heavy whipping cream/milk mixture and slowly pour it into the mixing bowl. Whisk it together. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
Heat over medium low for about 10 minutes until the mixture is thick.
Then remove it from the heat and strain it through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl.
Add in the Nutella and vanilla extract and whisk it in.
Cover the Nutella gelato mixture with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill overnight. If you don’t have to chill it overnight, chill the mixture for at least 2 hours.
Once it’s done chilling, freeze the ice cream according to your manufacturer’s instructions.

*If you don't have an ice cream maker, here's how to do it!*
Place your mixture in the freezer for thirty minutes. Take it out and whip it up with a hand mixer or stir it vigorously with a spatula. The point is to break up the ice crystals that are forming so that your ice cream will be smoother. Repeat this two more times in 30-minute increments. Worked for Kelso!!
Cut up some Baci candy or other chocolate hazelnut candy and sprinkle on top. Enjoy!

I usually don't remember to take pictures of the cooking process for my blog, plus it's tedious, and I have almost no patience, but there's just something about separated eggs that's so...What's the word?

The eggs get me started on everything else! I'm not weird am I?


It may seem impossible at first for the Nutella to whisk into your mixture, but don't give up! It will eventually become smooth.

I'm sure you can use any kind of chocolate, or cut up candybar, or fruit! Or CANDY!
Sorry.
I get excited over all the options you have for toppings on this heaven in a bowl.

So Nutella...Incredible.
Gelato...Incredible.
Mix them together and you get the most perfect blend of dessert.
Thank you all for bearing with me! If you found this interesting, you can always join me in the rest of my crazy antics over at A Spice A Day. And thank you to Erica and Monica for inviting me to guest post! It's been a real pleasure! Much love to the two of you, and congratulations again to Monica and her cute family on their precious new addition.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the instructions how to do it without an ice cream maker! Ooooh, nutella! I wanted to invite you over to my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelsey! This looks amazing! I was just barely eyeing Nutella at the store. I'm going to have to try this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey... at this home we have great big sweet teeth...and this is amazing and you make it look so easy to make.. well. TW..how about it? try it and have me over.. okay? please... ? love you girls.. and love to see thuis new thiing of sharing ideas and yummy recipes. Thanks Kelsey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like nutella but for some reason have not bought any for years! I need to get on the Nutella wagon again... what have I been thinking! This looks soooo yummy! Thanks :) Can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...