Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gingerbread Cake

I love the spicy flavors of Christmas. My sister-in-law Jamie has a fabulous Molasses Cookie recipe that I love. That is one cookie I just can't eat one. Hopefully I can get that recipe to you this season. Another good one is Gingerbread Cake. Yum. :) I got the idea from Jamie and thought I would attempt one today. If you like a spicy Christmas cake, then you'll enjoy this. I love it topped with fresh bananas and whipped cream. You could also top it with a lemon sauce or a caramel sauce. Yum!


Gingerbread Cake
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter (2 cubes)
2 eggs
2 cups molasses
1 cup applesauce
5 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups hot water

Cream the sugar and softened butter till light and fluffy. Blend in eggs then molasses then add your applesauce. In a separate bowl combine the flour, soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Mix your dry ingredients with the creamed mixture. Then add the hot water. Pour into a prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

A couple side notes:
1. This is an adapted recipe from here. I actually doubled the recipe. This is more than enough batter to fill an 8 1/2 x 11 inch pan. Only fill the pan about 2/3 full. You will have some excess.

2. I was thinking that if I thoroughly screwed this cake up that it would make a tasty trifle. Just an idea. ;)

Oh I love this time of year. Hope your Season has been merry and bright. Don't blink, it will be over. That's always so disappointing. Enjoy every minute. :)

2 comments:

  1. I have a similar recipe that I love!! Gingerbread is amazing! Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks yum! The touch of bananas was a great idea and I bet it tasted like heaven!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...