Friday, December 17, 2010

Mama's Flan

Since I was little one of my favorite desserts was flan. My mom being from Peru would occasionally make a flan for special occasions, Christmas dinner being one of them. I think I would put this in the custard/pudding department and you know how I feel about pudding. I would marry it if I could. So, with that being said, if you've never tried flan this is a pretty simple (and delicious) recipe for a special occasion. Your sophisticated friends will be super impressed and your sweet tooth will thank you generously.


Mama's Flan

1 Condensed Milk
1 Evaporated Milk
1 Cup of 2% Milk (you can use whole for a richer flan)
1 slice of White Bread
4 to 6 eggs (mom uses 5 large)
1/4 tsp of Rum extract
1 tsp. of Vanilla
6 tsp. of Sugar
1 cup of Sugar

Blend all ingredients but the 1 cup of sugar. In a pan dissolve the 1 cup of Sugar till it turns light brown.

In a 9X12 glass baking dish pour the melted sugar which will become like hard caramel once you pour it.. so when you pour it make sure you spread it around the dish. Put this dish in a bigger one filled with water... about half full.

Then pour the blended ingredients on top of the caramel.

Bake at 350ยบ for 1 hour. When you take it out of the oven get it off the bottom pan with water and let it cool for a few minutes, then you may put it in the fridge covered if you like it cold or just leave it out till ready to eat at room temperature. It will become firm and ready to eat.

To serve: while placing on a plate, turn upside down so the sugary syrup is on top. Top the flan with additional syrup from the pan.

You could also make this in a large round cake pan and invert it on a serving dish for a beautiful presentation. Since being home, I have struggled to keep up with my bloggerly duties. Thanks to Erica for picking up my slack and thanks to my mom for making my favorite Peruvian dessert. It's nice when I get to enjoy without having to bake. :)

Have a wonderful weekend and get a lot done! Time is ticking people!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I've never even heard of flan but it looks delicious! I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...