Monday, December 20, 2010

Chocolate Buttermilk Sheet Cake

This is kind of a Monday Match-Up.  Monica made a chocolate sheet cake back in July.  You can find it HERE.  I personally didn't try it, because I have my own favorite.  I made it this weekend while Monica was here visiting.  It's the perfect thing to make when you know your gonna have a crowd.  I got this recipe from my Mother in law a few years ago.  It's become a family favorite.  Especially for my Justy.  It's what she asks for on her birthday and other occasions.  She was pretty excited to see me making this for really no reason at all.  The icing to me is what makes it perfection.  It's got the best subtle almond flavor that goes perfectly with the chocolate cake.  Yum!  Hope you try it out.


Chocolate Buttermilk Sheet Cake

3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c. vegetable oil
1 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
1 c. boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together.  Add oil, buttermilk, eggs and stir together til well combined.  Add boiling water last.  Mix well.  Pour into big sheet pan.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool.

Icing

1 stick of butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 c. half and half

Beat butter until nice and soft and add vanilla, and almond extract.  Add powdered sugar slowly, scraping sides of bowl.  Add half and half last.  Ice cake when it's nice and cool

Have a great week getting ready for the big day.  I know i'm gonna be busy!  See you tomorrow!!

5 comments:

  1. Yes, this was tasty. Still favoring my recipe though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of chocolate cake with white icing, but this looks yummy! I think I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love almond flavored icing, that is what we do on our Sugar Cookies. It just wouldn't taste the same without that hint of almond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of almond butter cream on chocolate cake. I think I need to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very good, I happen to stop by and was treated to a bite, yummmy good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...