Monday, November 1, 2010

Monday Match-Up - Soup...again

You are bound to see some repeats from previous Match-ups. I think last time I chose soup it was not even cold yet and I was just yearning for sweaters, beautiful leaves, nutmeg, and of course...soup. Now things are really cooling down in many parts of the country. I know my Utah/Idaho friends have seen snow already and so far in Missouri we've had lots of wind and chilly days. Plus soup is pefect for a Halloween night. It was definitely in order.

I wanted a creamy comfort soup. I chose a cheesy potato soup. You really can't get more creamy or comfort than that. We were very lucky to share it with my dad who is visiting from Idaho. It's so wonderful to have visitors when you're so far away from home. The kids were ecstatic to have Grandpa here. Well, I was too. I would make a pot of soup every night if it would magically bring us family.

Anyway, enjoy. :)


Baked Potato Soup

2 Tbs butter
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C flour
4 1/2 C low-fat or skim milk
1 14oz can chicken broth
4 medium baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds) baked, boiled, or microwaved till done
2 C grated cheddar (or sharp cheddar) cheese, divided
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 C light sour cream, divided
1/2 C chopped green onions, divided
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, divide

Before you start your soup, make sure you cook your potatoes in whatever way is convenient to you. I baked mine but you can also peel and boil them or cook them in the microwave. It doesn't reall matter.

Saute garlic in the butter for a minute or two on medium heat until fragrant. Add the flour and slowly whisk in your milk. You want to add this slowly and whisk as you go to avoid flour clumps. When it is all whisked in go ahead and add the chicken broth and your pepper and salt. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer and cook until thickened stirring occasionally. Once your soup has thickened, add your potatoes. I just scooped my potato out of there skins into the pot. I then mashed the large chunks with my spoon to avoid any large pieces. Next and 1 1/2 cups of cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat and add 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup green onion, and some bacon.

Serve soup hot topped with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of bacon, cheese, and onions. Yum. This fed 3 adults and two kids barely. Next time I will double it so we can have soup for lunch the next day. I seriously love soup. :)

Source: Our Best Bites
------------------------
I love having soup for dinner, and winter is the BEST for this reason.  I chose to make Chicken Posole.  The first time I tried posole was at my Mom's years ago!  It was delicious!!  I've had it many times after and I enjoy it every time.  The kind my mom makes is very time consuming, but delicious in the long run.  I'm all about quick and easy, especially when i'm pregnant.  My Auntie had made an easier version of posole this summer, and I thought it tasted just as good and took a LOT less time to throw together.  She got the recipe from her twin daughters, Jennifer and Connie.  I was craving something different tonight, so I thought I'd make it and I'm glad I did.  You need to use a rotisserie chicken in this recipe.  Auntie said she's tried using other types of chicken and it just isn't the same.  So i'll take her word for it.  She's a smart cookie and an awesome cook!!


Chicken Posole
1 sm onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 1/2-14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes
2-15 oz cans of hominy
32 oz box of chicken broth
1 rotisserie chicken, pulled apart and cubed up.  I used the all the meat, because my chicken looked like it was starving.  Eyeball it.
Red Pepper flakes
shredded lettuce
cilantro
radishes
limes

Heat olive oil in your stock pot and saute' onions and garlic until softened.  Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and hominy and bring to boil while cutting up your chicken. Throw in the chicken and bring back to boil.  Salt and pepper to taste.  You can add the red pepper flakes at this time too.  I didn't add it because then my chillens wouldn't have eaten it.  Add what you like.  If you like it spicy, go crazy!  When it's boiled for a few minutes take it off the heat.  Pour into bowls.  Top with shredded lettuce, cilantro, radishes and lots of lime juice.  Like I said, super easy and fast!

Have a happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...