Thursday, March 31, 2011

Taco Seasoning

I grew up with pops using the taco seasoning packets and that's just what I used. You know, use what you know. Well, I was making tacos the other day and lo and behold I didn't have a packet. Well, this may not be of any interest to all those that already knew this, but for those who don't like change like me, you can make your own seasoning very quickly and it tastes better! Seriously, if this blog has done anything for me I use way less pre-packaged food. I love it.

Here is the recipe I found. It equals about a packet of purchased taco seasoning.


Taco Seasoning
1 tablespoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all together. Add 2-3 Tbls. with 3/4 cup of water to 1 pound browned hamburger. Simmer about 5 min.

This recipe is pretty adaptable. I didn't have onion powder so I doubled the garlic powder and I didn't have crushed red pepper so I sprinkled in some cayenne pepper. It still ended up a little to spicy for the kids so maybe ex the cayenne pepper. Your choice though.

Source: All Recipes

So then I called up Erica and said, "Hey, guess what? I made my own taco seasoning!" and she says, "I do that all the time". Oh fine. So much for me being cool. Anyway, she sent me the recipe she uses and it makes a bulk recipe so you can have it on hand when you need it.

Bulk Recipe Here

Okay, one more thing. We never heard from our Shutterfly Photobook winner. If we don't hear from you by Monday, we'll draw another name. Email me at cholita41 (at) yahoo (dot) com. Have a happy Thursday!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I want to try this definitely. When I make tacos I use my own canned sauce but I have a taco soup recipe that calls for a package of taco seasoning. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I haven't made tacos in forever! I'm goonna have to give this one a try. And since I'm a wimp on spice, I'll definitely x the cayenne and pepper flakes ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...