Thursday, August 5, 2010

Honey Wheat Bread

I had a really hard time trying to decide what to do today for the blog.  I must admit I was sort of dreading it and not wanting to do a thing!  My mom called me and I told her that I didn't know what to make for the day, and she told me that I should do my Honey Wheat Bread.  So that is exactly what I made.  It's such an easy recipe, and the results are fantastic and delicious!  Thanks, Mom!
 I think I get my bread making skills from my Grandma Joyce.  I can remember from a very small age her making a whole bunch of bread at least once a week and it lasting all week.  It was Grandpa's favorite dessert, Grandma's homemade wheat bread with some homemade raspberry jam.  Grandma gave me the job of keeping an eye on the dough while it was rising.  When the lid popped off of the HUGE green tupperware bowl, I had to let her know.  She'd punch it down and then pinch of a tiny bit for me to roll out and do what I wanted with it.  She'd give me sprinkles, sugar, and cinnamon.  I can still remember the taste of that bread with the sprinkles...it wasn't that great.  So I have good memories to go along with bread making.  I do have her recipe and I have yet to try it.  It kind of looks difficult.  I will be sure to post it here when I brave it out and make it.  It might be an adventure.

Sorry for blabbering. 
:o)

Here's the recipe:
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast, or one packet
1 tsp. white sugar
1/2 c. warm water
12 oz. can evaporated milk
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. melted butter
1/4 c. honey
2 tsp salt
2 c. whole wheat flour
3 c. bread flour
1/4 c. melted butter for buttering bowl, pans, and bread

Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 c. warm water.
Combine milk, 1/4 c. water, butter, honey, salt, and wheat flour in mixer and mix until well combined.  Add yeast mix making sure it's growing before throwing it in. Mix. 
 By growing...I mean like this.


Let rest for 15 minutes.
Add bread flour and mix until dough forms a ball.
Mine really wasn't a ball, but it was all sticking together nicely.
 
Knead dough with dough hook for 80 seconds or 10 minutes by hand. 
I'll choose the hook every time!

Place dough in buttered bowl and turn to coat.  Cover bowl and let rise 45 minutes of until doubled in size.
Punch down and divide the dough in half, punch out bubbles, if any. 
Put in buttered 9x5 bread pans.  Cover and let rise until doubled.
Place a small dish of water on bottom shelf in oven.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Bake for 25-35 minutes until dark golden brown.  Butter crusts while still warm.  ENJOY! 

3 comments:

  1. Those look beautiful! I will definitely (and I'm not just saying this) try this soon!

    Thanks so much for the memory. It took my right back. I can still picture myself standing on a chair watching her. Miss her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say... thanks for mentioning your mom.. it sure makes me feel special and proud that my girls love to make yummy things!.. I will also thank Joyce for teaching me how to make bread in my younger years!.. Hers was hmmm.. so good!.. I sure miss her too. I do have a new mixer thanks to you girls and no more excuse. So as soon as I make it I will let you know... I have tasted your yummy bread, and loved it and now is time to make it.. Thanks TW.. !! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell when Erica posts something or Monica. Since Monica commented on this one I guess that is your bread, Erica? Those look so good. I want to make some bread now. I love hearing all of your sweet memories of you time with your grandmother. Thanks for sharing. Yum Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...