Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Canning Pickled Beets

I used to be scared of canning.  I remember as a child watching my Grandma and Auntie can everything from their gardens.  And reading through Grandma's journals, she even canned deer meat and fish!  Nutso!  I don't think i'll try to can meat products.  Sounds disgusting.  Anyway...It always looked like such a long process, and hard work.  I didn't start doing it on my own til I married Jason.  His mom and sister invited me to help with canning homemade salsa.  It was A LOT of work, but when it was all done I felt so proud of all the cans we filled and adding to our food storage.  Now I do quite a bit of it by myself.  I've done tomatoes, dilly beans, applesauce, pickled jalepenos, and pickled beats.  Everything has tasted delicious so far, so I must be doing something right.  The feeling of accomplishment when your done is what keeps me doing it.  So this year was a first for pickled beets.  It took quite awhile, and was kind of messy, but well worth it.
The recipe I used for my first time was from this website.  I've done a few other recipes from their site, and loved the results.  I like that they have a chart of processing times too.  It's very informative and who doesn't love pictures of every step?!

 Aren't they pretty?!

If you have a favorite thing that you love to can please let me know.  I always like to try new things.  Email me at aerykat at gmail dot com. 

4 comments:

  1. Fun! And, yes pretty. I love canning. It means that Fall is right around the corner. Mmmm....I love Fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those days... fun and like you said when you were done it felt so good and so proud of yourself!.. It has been a long while since I have done any canning... now I just pull a sad face to Erica and she shares with me.. Thank you TW..! sure love you!
    ps.. and yes those pickle beets are so yummy!.. hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I canned spaghetti sauce for the first time last year and it was delicious!!! You really can't beat homemade sauce made from home grown tomatoes. So good! This year I'm going to double what I did last year because we ran out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One year I tried beet relish and corn relish. I still have been brave enough to try my own beet relish, but the corn relish is ok with roast. Your beets look beautiful, it's the color that makes them so fun.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...