Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ghost Cupcakes

BOO! I saw these cute little cupcakes somewhere in internet land. I have no idea who to credit these to. So I apologize for that. I knew they'd be a cinch to throw together though and they were. They'd be perfect for a Halloween party with the kiddos. I made them for a bunch of grown women and they loved them.


These were a one bowl from scratch chocolate cupcake. Super easy and by far my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe. I'm serious, they are amazing. I'll credit Martha for these. You can find the recipe HERE.

While these were baking I made two small batches of Marshmallow Fondant. I have made this before and have had good and bad luck with the recipe. In Utah I mostly had bad luck, I'm not sure if the dry climate helped me with that. I attempted it again though and it turned out perfect this time. Marshmallow Fondant is fun to play with and the ideas are endless. You can flavor it and color it anyway you like. It's tastes so much better than the premade fondant you can purchase.

I also whipped up a basic vanilla buttercream. I am not an expert at many things, well pretty much nothing, but I am good at making a buttercream. I don't have a specific recipe I follow it just comes together through experience and some failures. Back when I needed a recipe I liked this one. Mine is pretty much the same, although please don't add all shortening in your buttercream. They don't call it BUTTERcream for nothing. :)

Once the cupcakes are cool I frosted them and stuck a Tootsie Pop in them. I rolled out the fondant and cut into large circles using a large cookie cutter I have. I draped them over the Tootsie Pop and drew on the eyes. Easie Peasie and oh so cute.


I needed one little happy ghost. :)

Marshmallow Fondant
This makes a small batch. Enough to cover a single layer 10 inch round.

1 cup mini marshmallows
1 Tbsp water
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar

Place marshmallows in a standard 1 cup measuring cup and push down and pack them in. Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Just long enough for them to soften and puff up. Take out and stir with a spoon until it is well combined. If the marshmallows aren't melted, put it back in for 10 seconds or so. You don't want to put it in too long though because the moisture gets all sucked out. At this point it looks kind of soupy.

Add the sugar and mix and fold until it is all incorporated and it is no longer sticky. When it is cool enough you can knead it with your hands. I just knead it in the bowl. It should be a nice dough now. You can roll it out or shape it however you'd like.

A couple of tips
If it's a touch sticky and you don't feel like it needs more sugar, you can leave it on the counter to air dry for 10 minutes or so, then knead again.

Use powdered sugar or a thin layer of shortening on your counter when rolling out.

If you want to add a flavoring, cut back on the water by as much flavoring you add.

I got this recipe years ago from the Wilton.com forums. Let me know if you have any questions!

Enjoy and Happy Thursday!

Don't forget to enter are Giveaway HERE!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are impressive! Super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! I might attempt them but fondant intimidates me. A fear I may have to face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously!! Adorable. Can NOT believe you just whipped up a batch of fondant!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so amazing! I absolutely love them!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...