Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Repost-Thanksgiving Pie

 Mmmmm...Pie! Here is a post we did on a couple of our favorite family pie recipes.  These are a staple at any Thanksgiving dinner. What is your favorite kind of pie? 

First published on November 15, 2010
Pie is just something we grew up on. It wasn't necessarily a Thanksgiving treat. My Grandpa loved Lemon Meringue and a good Apple Pie and my dear Grandma was so good to whip one up every now and then. It wasn't uncommon to find an Apple Pie in the freezer ready when Grandpa needed it. She was such a good wife and a wonderful cook. More than once she would tell me the old saying, "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach".

Grandma used very simple recipes. For her lemon pie she used the recipe on the Jello box, her pecan was the Karo Syrup recipe. I still love these recipes and prefer them over some fancy pies. For our match-up this week we wanted to share a pie.

Both my dad and my hubby love Pecan Pie. I wanted to try a new recipe although I should have just stuck with what I know. Honestly, mine was a trial for me and it ended up being just okay. So, I'm just going to link the recipe in case you feel like trying it too. But I am going to post my mother-in-laws recipe because it's delicious and my hubby loves it although I promise you can't go wrong with the good ole Karo Syrup recipe. :)


Pecan Pie
1 cup Karo Syrup (light or dark, your preference)
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbls. flour
3 whole eggs
1 teas. vanilla
1/3 cup butter melted
1 heaping cup pecan halves or chopped pecans

Lightly beat eggs. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Pour into an unbaked pie crust. Bake for 45 min. at  350. Turn down to 300 for 10 more minutes.

Enjoy!

--------------------
I chose to make a Banana Cream Pie.  I am not a huge fan of it, but my hubby loves it, so I had to make him happy.  If I would have made one of my favorites then I would have eaten the entire thing, and that's not a good thing.  I'm not a huge fan of most pies.  I don't know why?  Like Monica said, pie was a big thing with our family.  My Grandma was always serving it after our Sunday dinners.  I ate it cause it made her happy.  :o)  It was good, but nothing like her cheesecake. 

I have a Banana Cream Pie recipe I usually use and it's easy, but I wanted to try something a little more difficult.  I made it and the hubs liked it 100 times better than my normal one.  It really wasn't too hard, and the end result...there is no more pie. 

I'm not about pretty...I'm all about tasty!  ;o)
Here's the recipe~

Banana Cream Pie
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 bananas, sliced

For the crust-
1 1/2 c. crushed Nilla cookies
6 Tbsp butter, melted

Mix your butter and cookies together and spread out in a 9 inch pie plate.  Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.  Let it cool completely.

In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Add milk in gradually while stirring gently. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture starts to thicken and get bubbly.  Keep stirring and cook for about 2 more minutes, and then remove from heat.

Stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, and immediately add egg yolk mixture to the rest of the hot mixture. Cook for 2 more minutes, keep stirring!  Remove the mixture from the stove, and add butter and vanilla. Stir until the whole thing has a smooth consistency.

Slice bananas into the cooled baked pastry shell. Top with pudding mixture.  Refrigerate a couple hours or over night.  I topped mine with whipped cream, but do what you want or like.  :o)  ENJOY! 
 

5 comments:

  1. mmmm, those pies look delicious!! I'll take pie over cake pretty much any day!!

    I received the flower hair clips that you sent!! They are so pretty and I love the colors!! Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm pie. I have to admit that pie is something that I have gradually learned to love. I didn't love it as a kid, but I'm loving it more and more as an adult. I love pecan pie. So, so, so good. And I am actually in charge of banana cream pie for Thanksgiving this year and I am thinnking I'll have to try that vanilla wafer crust - sounds delicious!

    Great post ladies :o)...I've got some catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never eaten pecan pie and after seeing that picture now I want to make one and try it! Erica that is the same recipe I use for banana cream pie. Sometimes we just make the pudding and eat it without the bananas or pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica... is it really better than your other recipe? How can you top the tartness of the sour cream and fluffiness of the other recipe??? HOMEMADE PUDDING? Oh... I see now! I'll have to try this one. Maybe I'll do a side by side comparison. Banana cream pie is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pies and words are sweet to see today. I really enjoyed your post. I hope you have a wonderful holiday. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...