Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Repost-Thanksgiving Salads

Just reading this post made my mouth water.  These have to be my favorite sweet salads at Thanksgiving dinner.  Give them a try.  You will be SO happy you did!

Are you ready for the big day? What do you have planned?  We'd love to hear what everyone is up to for the big day.  Have a great Wednesday!!

First published on November 8, 2010
This week we are doing a sweet salad that we would find at our families Thanksgiving table.  We each chose our favorite, and it turned out being the same thing.  So, the SWEET sister that I am, let Monica make it.  :o)  I picked my second favorite, and I am so happy that I did.  It's so tasty and taking the first bite of it reminded me of my Grandma's on Thanksgiving day.  Made me sad and happy at the same time.  This will be our second year without Grandma on Thanksgiving and my first year not spending at least part of the day at her home with the rest of my family.  Anyhoo...enough of the sad story.  I'm so grateful to my Grandma and Auntie and their awesome recipes, for handing them down to us kids.  And I hope our kids will want to keep them at our Thanksgiving table for years to come.

I chose to do Grandma's 7-Up Salad.  I don't know where it came from, but I can remember eating this stuff from when I was little.  Grandma wrote down this recipe for me a couple years ago.  It's so funny, because with most the recipes she wrote down for me, she would usually leave an ingredient out or be wrong on 1 or 2 of the measurements.  So the recipe I have wrote down is quite confusing with lots of crossed out things and scribbles, but it turned out just like I remembered it.  I was thinking of re-writing the recipe for my personal binder, but I think I will keep it just the way it is.  Will bring a smile to my face every time.


Here's the recipe~

2 small packages of Lemon Jell-O
2 c. boiling water
2 c. 7-Up
2 c. crushed pineapple, drained (keep the juice!)
3 bananas, cut up
1 1/2 c. mini marshmallows

Dissolve the jell-o in the boiling water, then add the 7-Up.  Pour into a 13x9 dish.  Refridgerate until syrupy.  I timed and it took a little less than an hour.  Add your pineapple, bananas, and marshmallows to jell-o and refridgerate til set.  Top with the following cream...OH SO YUMMY!  I could eat it all by itself.

2 eggs, beaten
4 Tbsp butter
3/4 c. pineapple juice
1 c. sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 pint heavy whipping cream

Put eggs, butter, juice, sugar, and flour in a sauce pan and heat on med-high heat whisking the entire time until thick.  Take off heat and let cool.  Once cool, whip the heavy cream til stiff peaks form.  Fold the two together and top the Jell-O.  Refridgerate until ready to serve and ENJOY!

---------------

Oh Thanksgiving. It's so dear to my heart. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday hands down. There is nothing better to me than spending a day with people I love cooking, baking, and just being together. I feel nothing but joy when I think of Thanksgivings past. It's just a really happy time for me. I'm excited to share some of that with you this month.

Yes, Erica was nice and let me do our favorite sweet Thanksgiving salad. This one is actually relatively new. My Auntie Linda introduced it to the family within the last 10 years. We loved it and we have had it every year since. I have shared it with others and made it for many holiday parties. Whip it up and share. It's delish.


Cranberry Salad
1 lb. fresh cranberries
1- 15 oz. can crushed pinepple drained (I added a bit of the juice, mostly by accident but it worked) :)
1 cup sugar
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 lb. bag of mini marshmallows (I used a 10 oz. bag and it was fine)

Grind cranberries until finely chopped. (I use my food processor for this. It's very quick.) Add sugar and pineapple and chill for 1 hour. Whip cream and add marshmallows. Fold cream and mallows into the cranberry mixture and chill overnight. This is such a pretty dish. Definitely festive for the holidays.

Oh yum. Thanks Auntie for this family favorite. :)

Have a happy Monday!

6 comments:

  1. i suck at thanksgiving. this year we're eating at the cheesecake factory HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ladies.. you really out did yourselves by sharing family secrets that I think it should be shared for others to try and truly enjoy them like we have. I haven't made the 7 up salad for a long time and I think I will this year.. and the Cranberry salad sounds delicious and if it comes from Auntie it is *good*. Wish me luck and again thank you for sharing!..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good ladies. I've been so excited for Thanksgiving, and this excites me even more! I can't wait for the food-filled day. Oh and the family too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. TFS your recipes! I will give them a try because I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes we will be making your cranberry salad, but it just won't be the same without you being the one to make it. Not the same at all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...