Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I Did It. :)

I did it! On Saturday I ran the Wickedly Fast Half Marathon in Olathe Kansas. It was so much fun. Seriously, everything about it. I loved the energy, the people, the course, everything. It is something I definitely will do again. I've learned that 13 miles is doable, not easy, but doable.

We got up very early and headed to Garmin Headquarters in Olathe Kansas. I said goodbye to my sleepy family and met up with my group of ladies from K-ville. I had butterflies in my stomach but was excited too. The energy and support of all my friends was amazing.

Here we are pre-race. Everyone was so excited. Six of these gals did the full marathon (Amazing!) and the rest of us did the half. We have trained together and cheered each other on. (Photo by Joe Schurtz)

Photo by Joe Schurtz

After our group photo we split up and lined up at the starting line. There were so many people! My goal was to finish between 2:20 and 2:25, so I lined up around those pacers with two of my friends (Leslie and Melissa). My heart swelled as we listened to the National Anthem. How lucky am I to be able to do this and live in such a great country. At 7:00 the gun went off and we got started.

Miles 1-6 were just exciting. I pretty much stuck with Melissa and Leslie. We chatted and observed. It was fun. About mile six Melissa went ahead and Leslie and I chatted for another mile. At mile seven it was time for me to zone. I put my music in and just ran. The next six miles weren't easy but they weren't terrible either. It went by fast and pretty soon I was at mile 12. I think the last mile was the hardest, my body was tired and it was all mental. It really is a fight. Body says stop, mind says no.

I finished at 2:24. I saw a group of friends at the finish line (thanks for cheering for me) and then I saw my family. I kept looking for them in the crowd and then there they were, Aaron and my kiddos, holding up a sign. Thank you. :)

Looking pretty awesome! :)

This whole time training, I kept saying, I don't love running yet. I made a goal and didn't want to quit. After this race, I love running. I trained this 33 year old, carried three babies in my womb, not so tiny body to run 13.1 miles. I did it. I did it.


Now onto the next thing. I'm 40 lbs. down and 25 to go. Wish me luck. :)

5 comments:

  1. Great Job Cho! You are awesome. I definitely know I don't love running enough to do a half marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! ALMOST makes me want to train for a half. ALMOST! Great job, Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post brought tears to my eyes. It is a HUGE accomplishment to do it. I think I have gotten a little teary eyed as I have finished mine. It just feels good to push your body and to slowly get to the point that you CAN do it. I'm really proud of you! Great job Monica and great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are amazing my friend!! i thought of you last night when i wanted to stop my very short run on the treadmill. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rock! 25lbs from where!?? You look great!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...