Thursday, August 27, 2009

MS Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

So I had a ton of Dark Chocolate Frosting from the previous cupcake left over. It was sitting in the fridge just waiting to be used up. It's hard for me to let such yumminess (is that a word?) go to waste. I noticed in the Martha cookbook that the Chocolate Chip Cupcakes use the same frosting and that they were much less time consuming than Salted Caramel Cupcakes. This cupcake was so much different than the last one. The batter was very thick and was not as sweet. The last cupcake was a chocolate rush and this one is just enough to make you smile. They were simple and quick enough to make in a couple of hours for a family gathering or party.
You can find this recipe on page 22 of Martha Stewart's Cupcakes.

I've seen these cute little cupcake wrappers a lot recently. Although they are adorable, they really weren't functional. It was kinda hard to get the cupcake out without making a mess of it.

They did turn out pretty.
And really tasty.

I honestly wasn't so sure about these at first. I always like to try the cupcake before frosting (b.f.) to taste the cake as is and was not very excited about it. After I piped the frosting on (a.f.) and cut one for pictures I was very happy with the frosting/cake mix. It was pleasant and tasty. It got me thinking about frosting. We have all had that frosting on a store bought cupcake that was over the top sweet. You know the one where everyone scrapes it off and leaves it on the side of their plate. Since becoming a baker, I am much more observant of my cakes and cupcakes. I usually watch my recipients from the corner of my eye to see if the frosting gets tossed aside. I always feel a touch bad when it does. Almost like I failed in giving the person an enjoyable experience. Any dessert should be an amazing experience and really isn't worth your or my time when it's mediocre. You know?


So I was curious, do you like the frosting on your cake/cupcake or are you a scraper? If you are a scraper, is it because you just have never had a good quality, amazing made frosting? You tell me. I would love to hear.

Just a quick thanks to all the comments from my last post. They totally made my day. :) Hopefully you will pass my link around. The lucky recipients of these are a few different people. The computer guy at my work deserves some kudos, along with my neighbor, and a friend. Again, if you live around me I would love to share! Just let me know!

12 comments:

  1. Yumm-O! Those look delish! Did you freeze one for me?

    I like to eat the frosting, but only if it's home made and not too thick that it sticks to the back of your throat. You know what I mean? Like it's so loaded with lard that it sticks? :o)

    I am gonna order this book ASAP and start doing what your doing. It looks like so much fun.

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! They look delicious and like I said it before you are amazing! besides of how delicious they must be.. they have a very feminine look and touch. An applause to you. Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Monica I found this blog from Facebook! What a great idea! I love cupcakes but have had trouble with them in the past. That cookbook sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Those look adorable! I LOVE frosting! I want double frosting on everything and dang, I wish I lived closer so I could score some of your yummy cupcakes every now and then! Sad times. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I don't live around you, but maybe I will buy a house over there, just so I can partake of your cupcakes.

    And me? I hate the store-bought frosting. But if it's good, yummy, chocolate buttercream frosting (or non-chocolate), I'm all over it. I'll probably lick the frosting off and then eat the cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally in for the whole experience! However I have to admit sometimes with the store bought cakes there is just too much frosting if a get a corner piece that sometimes I scrape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. if it's homemade i want as much frosting in every bite as possible!!!
    i have been known to scrape a tiny bit off (esp. if it's an edge piece) on store bought ones though.
    gorgeous creations BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so talented Monica! I LOVE frosting more than the cake...but I have to exercise will power due to that yucky word 'cholesterol!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am all about the frosting if it's good frosting and not the lardy kind, you know like Erica said about the lard sticking to the roof of your mouth. Otherwise I'm all about the frosting, the more the merrier! Also I ran across this website and thought of you. http://www.bakeitpretty.com/ hope you enjoy... don't forget I'd love a taste of your yummy creatiions, I'd even come pick them up! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you make it, I'm eating every last bite. If it's store bought, I'm scrapping half of it off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those cupcakes look sooooo good! I think the more frosting the better, I don't think I have ever scraped off the frosting, that's the best part!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...