Wednesday, June 20, 2012

French Bread

I love making bread.  I've tried making french bread before, and it didn't work out too well for me.  I thought i'd try a different recipe last night and it turned out beautifully!!  It tasted just like I think french bread should taste, and it looked great too.  I ended up slicing it up and making grilled cheese sandwiches with it.  My familia LOVED it!



French Bread
2 ¼ c. warm water
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp yeast
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
5 ½ -6 cups flour


In your mixing bowl add your sugar, and yeast.  Pour your warm water over the top and let it sit until it's nice and bubbly.  Then turn on your mixer and add your salt, oil and 3 cups of flour.  Mix well.  Add in 2 1/2 -3 c. flour.  You don't want to add too much.  I used 5 1/2 and it was perfect.   You want it to come off the sides of your bowl but not too sticky to the touch.  Knead for 3 minutes and then let it rest for 10 minutes.  Turn your mixer on for 10 seconds and let it sit for another 10 minutes.  Do this again, totaling 5 times.  Turn dough onto a lightly flour surface and cut in half.  Roll one piece into a 9x13 rectangle.  Roll dough up, starting at long end.  Place seam down on a BIG pan that's been sprinkled lightly with corn meal.  Do the same with the other loaf.  Cover with a towel and let them sit for a half hour.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Brush each loaf with an egg wash. (1 egg, 1 Tbsp water whisked together).  Bake for 30 minutes.


Source-Mel's Kitchen Cafe


Enjoy!  


Love, Erica*

1 comment:

  1. This looks so easy! I'm out of bread and will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...