Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Jumbo Creme-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes-Martha Stewart Cupcake Club

I had to psych myself up for this one this month. You know, I just wasn't excited to bake this cupcake. I am not sure exactly what it was because I love chocolate and I love creme. I guess it didn't look exciting enough for me. I'm not sure if you've realized but I like to make food items true to the recipe at least once. After that I feel free to change or even throw out a recipe. I will be honest and tell you I didn't love these but I'm sure I could love these with some changes.

This cupcake was chosen by Jess from Cookbook Habit. You can find it on page 133 of Martha Stewart's Cupcakes. This batter mixed up pretty quickly. It seemed like a basic chocolate cake recipe moistened with sour cream. I think sour cream is pretty much awesome in most baked items so I was hoping for better. These mixed up not super thick but did take some spreading in the tin. The batter had a nice taste to it so I was starting to think these might not be the typical dry Martha cupcake. I was wrong. This is probably the first cupcake that I didn't even want to give away. I actually did 6 jumbo cupcakes and 12 regular size. I would not do these jumbo ever again. It's one thing to have a couple of bites of dry cupcake but the Jumbo was just too much.

Please forgive the photography. My nice camera is having issues. These are the Jumbos. I buttered and dusted the tin with cocoa powder. 5 of the six came out okay. There is something about the cupcake wrapper that makes cuppies look pretty. I think I prefer that (plus the wrappers are much less time consuming).

On a lighter note (although not actually light in any way), the creme did turn out pretty well. When I say not light I mean it though. It is made with 1 and a half cups Marshmallow Creme and 1 stick of butter. That's it. Seriously. Butter and sugar whipped up together into a pretty creme, really is wonderful. The ONLY good part about this cupcake was the creme. Really.


I know my posts are few and far between but please be patient. We are moving in July and I'm hoping to be posting more starting August/September. Can't wait. :) Next month: Tres Leches Cupcakes. MMMMMM.

14 comments:

  1. I'm sorry these weren't your favorite - I was a bit underwhelmed by them myself, but they were fun to make. Yours did turn out beautifully. Thanks for baking along with me this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least they look really good! I hope you have better luck than I did with the tres leches cupcakes!

    Where are you guys moving???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours look great. This was something very different I would never have tried myself without the MSC club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look interesting. :o) The filling sounds delicious!!! Can't wait for next months. I think I want to make them too. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a lot of changes, but I did like them. I think I overcooked them a tad, so I am going to try again and see if I can get them to be moister, because I liked the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not agree with you more! These were not giftable. The concept is good, but totally lacking in its moistness and texture. I, too got excited when I tasted the batter, but then let down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My batter was super thick, odd how everyone's is different. I loved the batter and the cupcakes. I used cupcakes liners cause I knew I'd have issues, very impressed that you got 5 out of the 6. Hopefully next month will be kinder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your photo is very pretty! I definitely agree with you, the cream filling was the best part about this recipe. I also like to follow recipes exactly the first time around, then tweak things the next go-round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta agree with you...the best part of the cupcake was the cream filling! And I love the photo of the three cupcakes...very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad. They look delicious! Call me when you do those tres leches...Mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the same way Monica - I tend to be pretty true to the recipe the first time I make it and I was here. I made the jumbos too - weren't they enormous?? I thought the filling to cake ratio was way off in the jumbos, especially since they were a bit dry. These weren't my favorite either but my husband ate them so not a total loss :) I think yours look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry these turned out dry for you. Thank goodness for the yummy filling!! I have learned to bake any of MS's cuppys at least 6 -7 minutes less than called for. Rather too moist than too dry.

    They look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree the filling was good, but the cake not so much. I had high hopes for these, but the recipe needs some tweaking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...