Monday, September 14, 2009

MSC Zucchini-Spice Cupcakes

If you are like me then you have zucchini and tomatoes coming out of your ears!  The garden is over flowing with produce and I'm always looking for ways to use it all up.  I was looking forward to this months Martha Stewart Cupcake Club entry to use up some zucchini.  Tracey's Culinary Adventures chose this months cupcake and it was perfect.  For a reminder of what I'm talking about, I joined a cupcake club and you can read more details about it here.  Please check out the blogroll here to see all other blogger's/baker's entries.  You will be able to see all the interpretations to the same recipe!  Fun, fun!
This cupcake was fairly easy and fun to make.  I will tell you now that this recipe really made me excited for fall.  There is something nostalgic and heartwarming about the smell of nutmeg and cinnamon wafting from the oven.  Oh, I love it!  It reminds of being in my grandma's kitchen on a chilly fall day.  *sigh*  Anyway, this recipe calls for roasted walnuts, which I roasted myself!  Sounds fancy and time consuming, but really you just stick the walnuts in the oven for about 8 min.  It pulls out the aroma and makes them taste yummy.  Most of the people in my life don't really like nuts in their baked goods, but I had to add it and be true to the recipe.  I'm glad I did.  I think they really added to the cake.  I'm sure my poppy would agree.  He's the one that gets mad when I leave them out.  :)
These little cakes were topped with Martha Stewart's Cream Cheese Frosting.  I was very excited about this recipe.  I've tried many Cream Cheese Frostings and have never loved them.  I think I have found my "go to" Cream Cheese Frosting recipe.  I loved this!  It was light and wasn't too cheesy or too sweet.  It was just right and went with this cake beautifully!
You can find this cupcake on page 44 and the frosting recipe on page 303 of Martha Stewart's Cupcakes recipe book.  I honestly don't think I've ever picked up and flipped through a recipe book so much.  I'm seriously in love with this thing.  You really need to check it out.  Just curious, is there a must have cookbook in your life?  I would love to know.
The batter was nice and thick and smelled soooo good!
I used these pretty scalloped cupcake wrappers.  I think one could go crazy just in the wrapper department.

My Ratings
First Impression- 5 stars
Cake- 4.5 stars
Frosting- 5 stars
Aaron's Rating- 4.5 stars
Next Day- 4 stars
 
Stay tuned!  This week is my little B's 6th birthday!  We are combining his birthday party with my nieces.  I'll be making the cupcakes!  Also, there is a bonus challenge for the club due Sept. 30th!

22 comments:

  1. I love the cupcake liners you used! They are just so cute! Your cupcakes came out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting the thin pieces of zucchini on top was a great idea. The cupcake liners are adorable too. Beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look beautiful! Everyone is raving about the frosting, so I am going to have to go back and make these again. I love the cupcake wrappers- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look great! i love the wrappers, and your lovely piped icing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun cupcakes...love the swirl on the top with the cascading greenery and the wrappers are so cute! These look like a party all by themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great, and I have to agree, I love the liners. Where do you get all those fun ones? Again, they look delicious and I wish I lived closer. I too like nuts in mine, but JR doesn't, so i'm never putting any in my stuff. My favorite cook books are the crockpot one Grandma gave me and the one my sweet sister gave me. I use them a lot. I also use allrecipes.com a lot. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look BEAUTIFUL! I love the little zucchini shavings on top. Interesting that you say your batter was thick...mine was just the opposite - a little runny.
    and i LOVE the wrappers. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look amazing! I think I'm going to check out her book at the library and make copies of these recipes because I really want to try them out!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cupcakes & photos are great! I'm with you in the crazy cupcake liner corner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cupcakes look great! Love the cupcake wrappers and the shavings on top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great piping work - they look fantastic. And how cute are your cupcake cases!! Where do you find such gorgeous things?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, I really like your cupcake wrappers, where did you find them? Super cute! Your cupcakes look so beautiful, what a great job you did!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cupcakes look wonderful! Where did you find the cupcake liners?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to try this one. Send me one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. soo cute! where did you get your cupcake wrappers?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who knew you could cook!! Those look devine!!

    XOXO
    Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for baking with me this week Monica! I love your photos! Your cupcakes are gorgeous, especially with your fluffy cream cheese frosting. This is now my go-to cream cheese frosting too - it was perfect. Great cupcake liners-I'd love to know where you got them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! From the cupcake liners to the little shavings on top - a work of art. Who wouldn't enjoy something this pretty? Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute little cup cake papers. And the little snips of zucchini on top - Perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look good, delicious looking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look at those lovely cupcakes and liners! I also like the zucchini addition to the frosting! Nice job all around!

    Thanks for baking along with us this month! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i never thought of zucchini cupcakes before but they look yummy and i love those wrappers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...